Thursday, August 11, 2005

New Job For Emily1!



after two and a half years, the company where i have been working as a contractor decided to hire me. i tremble before the task of functioning as an adult with adult goals. i'm happy. i'm a nervous wreck. i'm ecstatic. i'm afraid. up until now, the job hasn't been a priority. as an official full-time employee, i have to make a much bigger commitment to this company. salaries aren't high, and they are stingy with vacation. even so, i'm earning more now than i ever have, and i'm getting the best health insurance i've had since i was laid off from my last job in january 2003. that, and ta da dum -- a dollar for dollar matching contribution to the 401K plan up to eight percent of my salary.

i still feel like screaming. my stress level just went through the roof. there's no negotiating room on the vacation policy. i get one day of vacation for the next six months. frankly, i don't understand why so many americans persist in repeating the mantra, "Murka number WUN!!!!" i've been working for six years now, and i'm getting five fewer days of vacation than i got at my first professional job. that sucks.

alright, enough grousing on the negatives. yay me! i will actually be in a position to buy my own home within five years. the company is also going to pay for me to finish my computer science degree. next up: dental cleaning and new glasses. yeehaw!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

we like the dentists. we like more the glasses. you should get the contacts. in RED!

and we are going to take you PANTS SHOPPING.

emily1 said...

the 8 percent match is unbelieveably generous. i can save a lot of money in a very short period of time with that kind of match. best thing is that it is not a company stock match.