Saturday, April 30, 2005

the mezrahista's revenge



more from loolwa khazzoom:

For much of my childhood I struggled with Iraqi-Israeli family members trying to change my name to Lilly so nobody would suspect my Iraqi roots. I finally got them to leave me alone when I started calling all of them Alex.
what chutzpah she must have had. i have this vision of a furious six- or eight-year old loolwa calling her mom, dad, and assorted relatives "alex".

dizzam.

incidentally, this came from a piece entitled "making a splash", which contains the following colophon:

Loolwa Khazzoom (www.loolwa.com) is a published author whose essays have been featured in anthologies and countless periodicals. She is a self-defense instructor, a feminist activist, a Jewish multicultural educator, and a musician.
emphasis mine, but ordering of self-descriptors hers.

sweet.

No comments: