Tuesday, February 08, 2005

A Revelation



i think i have adult add.

i can't maintain focus. i have a horrific problem with procrastination. noisy environments make me anxious and/or pissed off. my mind wanders even when someone is speaking directly to me. i lose things and forget appointments. i took an online assessment test (yeah, i know they're no subsitute for a clinical diagnosis) and i scored very high on the inattention scale, though not so much on the hyperactivity scale.

however, my mom could probably tell you stories about my childhood. if i remember correctly, i was quite the hellion. i could never sit still. in school, i had a tendency to blurt out answers without being called on. in fact, on my first day of kindergarten i got the old palm-spanking with a ruler because of that. i didn't manage to stop doing that for a couple of years. my grade school experience was fairly authoritarian. they really hated it when i didn't follow instructions 'properly.'

1 comment:

FM said...

um, i exhibited those same bahaviors as a child, resulting in my parents sending me to a psychiatrist to test me for a.d.d.

the shrink talked to me for a bit, made me play little mind games with jenga blocks or whatever and concluded that the curriculum was too elementary for me and i was bored out of my mind. however, i scored high on hyperactivity and general behavioral "problems" like disobeying authority, which got me held back for an extra year of pre-school. my parents managed to get the teachers to tutor me one on one so i wouldn't light things on fire or beat up my classmates for fun.