Thursday, November 18, 2004

mix tape alert!



i walk crosstown on 14th street pretty much every day, and there is a booth between 5th and 6th avenue that sells hip hop dj mix cds. usually, i pass by without noticing. after all, you can only play the hot 97 playlist in so many permutations. most of the cd's are nothing but ripped tracks burned on cd's (like the popular hot 97 blazin hip-hop and r&b mix cds) but today the beats were different. it was a new eminem track, "never enough" and it was segueing into "higher" by the game. see, some djs know how to arrange songs, and some do not. (yes, there is an art to this.) anyway, this one knew what he was doing. so much so that i stood there for fifteen minutes, along with four or five strangers, who were also bobbing their heads up and down. then i realized i was late for my internship, so i bought the cd. this doesn't usually happen; i don't buy cd's. it was only $5. gotta love ny. anyhow, i'm listening to the entire cd right now, and it's pretty damn good. the first half has a dark urban epic feel to it.

it is on sale here - they appear to have changed a couple of the tracks. they substituted the eminem track for track 3.

i leave you with some lyrics from a new destiny's child track, "soldier," which puts the final nail in the coffin for the metrosexual:

love how he keep my body screamin'
A rude boy that's good to me, wit street credibility
If his status ain't hood
I ain't checkin' for him
Betta be street if he lookin' at me
I need a soldier
That ain't scared to stand up for me
Known to carry big things
If you know what I mean
If his status ain't hood
I ain't checkin' for him
Betta be street if he looking at me
I need a soldier
That ain't scared to stand up for me
Gotta know to get dough
And he betta be street


the "queer eye" era is so over.

okay back to work.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

destiny's child has always had issues, darling - remember that row about their being homophobic asses?

they can like the rough trade all they want. why don't they just go up to boston university? there are filthy frat boys there to date-rape them...

FM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

like all taxachusetts LIBRUHLS, i have no sense of humour. ;-)

FM said...

i ain't got one either at the moment. this mid-day creeping hangover is killin' me. i want to poke my own eyes out.

oh and i need your address; i have procured a copy of the morrissey album i promised and would like to send you said copy.