Thursday, October 02, 2003

Powerlessness



Daily I fight over acceptance of certain things. These include, but are not limited, to the following:

- that I have little control over my body
- that I have little control over my health
- that I have little control over my level of attractiveness
- that I have little control over my mind
- that I have little control over my emotions
- that I have little control over my financial situation
- that I have little control over my romantic & sexual life
- that I have little control over my ability to obtain proper healthcare
- that I have little control over my government

The funny thing about this situation is that it makes me really, really, really angry.

It should make you angry, too. I don't care who you are: some part of that checklist applies to you. If you live in the United States, as I do, your environment might be more helpful to your comparative level of control over these things, but I can guarantee you don't actually *have* control over many of them.

As a human being, I have been experiencing these limitations as anger, frustration, panic, fear, depression & a host of other unpleasant emotions. I have also been forced to reach out to others for comfort & aid.

As a Buddhist, I have been working on my anger & frustration over these issues through training and learning. Buddhism's goal is understanding that suffering is part of the human condition & that it is not something that needs to cripple us.

As an American, I have been working on these issues through therapy, drugs & application of force. I file paperwork to assist; I try to better the situation through free healthcare programs & clinics & by expressing my opinions & voting.

There is no underlying message to this post other than to lay out what I am experiencing in my life. I hope it didn't depress or bore you to read about it; I'm not trying to sound pitiful or worse off than you. The truth of the matter is that every person is suffering & has to come to terms with their suffering in their own way. Make sure you recognise in a conscious way what causes your suffering.

No comments: